Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Problem Child

Growing up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood, I attended my local grade school from kindergarten up to sixth grade. Being Mexican, my family is very Catholic, which meant that I was brought up with many of the Catholic teachings. I had always been very respectful towards others and treated others as I wanted them to treat me. Then I hit a phase starting in sixth grade that I am not very proud of going through. Many of my friends had started talking back and not doing work--they became careless and worry free of school. I fell under peer pressure and soon developed the same attitude towards school. I had become a pain for my teachers.

They were disappointed and stunned at my attitude because I had always been a great student. I had stopped doing my homework and caring less about school. But for some odd reason, I was still performing well in my classes even though I was not paying attention. I did not notice this until some time after I had become a problem child. This problem child phase continued through my sixth grade and into my seventh grade. It was not until seventh grade that I realized that this path was not the write one for me. During seventh grade, my Spanish teacher had a talk with me and pointed out how I was throwing away my life because I wanted to be "cool." God had given me this amazing gift and I did not care for it.

It was not until after that talk that I realized that I had great potential to be someone and make my parents proud of the sacrifices that they have done for me. This change in attitude lead me to get into one of the best high schools in Chicago and get into my first choice college.

No comments: