Friday, December 7, 2007

Head on Collision

"Y volver volver a tus brazos otra vez" were almost the last words of my life. Driving down I-55 on a cold, icy night, I lost control of my pick up truck as I was exiting on the ramp. As I was approaching my destination, blasting Vicente Fernandez, I got off on the ramp. The ramp was one of those 270 degree ramps where you almost have to go in a complete circle to get onto the street. There were no light posts on the ramp, it was completely dark. The only light source was that of the dim stars and my head lights. There were steep slopes on both sides of the ramp. At the bottom, the grass was full of snow. I slowly rounded the curve make to sure I would not slip on the ice and go off-roding. Once I came near the top of the ramp, I sped up. Thinking the road would be salted down, I performed a lane change as if it had never rained ice and was just a normal dry day. As I began to move over, I moved to a lane that was covered with ice. I lost control of the vehicle. It spun out on me beginning in the back. I turned the steering wheel in all kinds of directions attempting to gain control of the vehicle. I slipped across three lanes with no control of the truck. Heading towards the wall of concrete, which separated the two different directions of traffic, I luckily gained control of the truck right before I smashed into it. Now looking back on that night, I am grateful that there were not any other vehicles on the road while I lost control of the truck; there could have been a car wreck, which would not have been good at all.



(the content of this story is fictional)

No comments: